Braces & Aligners
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the branch of Dentistry related to correction of :
- Crooked/malpositioned/haphazardly placed teeth
- Improper Bites leads to difficulty in chewing
- Anomalies in jaw growth
- Proclined/ forwardly placed upper teeth
- Inability of lip closure
- Snoring (Sleep Apnoea)
- TM Joint problems (opening and closing of mouth)
Braces are devices used in orthodontics that align and straighten teeth and help to position them with regard to a person’s bite, while also working to improve dental health. They are often used to correct underbites, as well as malocclusions, overbites, open bites, deep bites, cross bites, crooked teeth, and various other flaws of the teeth and jaw. Braces can be either cosmetic or structural. Dental braces are often used in conjunction with other orthodontic appliances to help widen the palate or jaws and to otherwise assist in shaping the teeth and jaws.
Need For Orthodontic Treatment
- Crowding/ Haphazardly placed teeth: Difficult to maintain Oral Hygiene leading to Dental Caries (cavities)
- Improper Bites can affect chewing efficiency.
- Future Periodontal problems: Bleeding gums, Halitosis (bad breath), Tooth mobility (Premature loss of teeth)
- Esthetics: Calculus deposits- Yellow teeth
- Forwardly placed/Proclined teeth: Unnatural snout, more convex profile, posteriorly displaced chin
- Inability to close mouth can be corrected
- Spacing in between teeth can lead to speech problems
- Confident smile, enhances confidence in personality